Search This Blog

Saturday 17 May 2014

52 Card Challenge 2014 - UK Scrappers Week 20

This week being Week 20, Nat's challenge was entitled "show and tell", using new stash.  I have just become a Close To My Heart Consultant, and have rather a lot of new CTMH stash.  But I like to multitask, so an acquaintance encouraged me to put entries into the Chinchilla show, and I needed to make a baby card for a friend, so I fulfill a number of purposes here. 
 
This card has taken me quite a few evenings to do, as I don't get time to craft, but I am happy  with the result - even if I never thought I would finish it!
 
 
I started out with the freebie Papercraft Essentials paper, which I cut to size, and edged with Victorian Velvet distress ink. 

 
I misted the doily and cut it in half - I still had to fold it to fit it onto the card, but the flower and leaves on the right hand side mostly hide the fold. 
 
I had adhered the big Prima flower on the right hand side, without really thinking that I needed to balance it, so I duplicated the look with smaller flowers, but handcut some of the elements down so they were in proportion.  Antique pearls form the centre of the smaller flowers - my Mum gave me a bag of pearls - no doubt from broken necklaces - and they have a lovely aged sheen to them. 
 
I used the Kaisercraft leaves template to cut out some vellum leaves, but I wanted to add some interest to the vellum which was otherwise very flat.  I traced round the edges with watercolour pencil but it was too dark - then I wanted to dull down the colour, so added some water.  I found out that vellum curls up if you add water - a happy accident!  Though it made adhering the vellum to the card quite tricky. 
 

 
I stamped the letters with Victorian Velvet ink, and then cut them out and added them onto the Spellbinders diecut.  I ran them through my Zyron 150 to adhere them, and then outlined the letter with Cotton Candy Stickles.  I added Stardust Stickles on top to add some sparkle, as the Cotton Candy adds dimension but doesn't sparkle!


 
 
Another CTMH stamp set "Skylark" contained the small heart, which added some interest to the name.  I coloured the letters in with watercolour pencils and added water and Shimmer mists for some shine. 
 
A few gems and pearls complete the card. 
 
Supplies:
Papercraft Essentials "Sweet Wishes" 6 x 6 paper stack
Tim Holtz distress inks - "Victorian Velvet"
Close To My Heart Hopscotch Alphabet and Skylark stamp sets
Cosmic Shimmer Mists - "Rose Pink" and "Sunlight"
Doily
Kaisercraft 12 x 12 template "Leaves"
Lace
Prima flower and leaves
Martha Stewart Crocosmia punch
Antique Pearls
Cinnamon Promarker
Kaisercraft Squadron "Sergeant" patterned paper
Pink Vellum
Cotton Candy and Stardust Stickles
Derwent Inktense watercolour pencils "Carmine Pink" and "Red Violet"
Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels 14
 
I lady I met in town encouraged me to put entries into the forthcoming Chinchilla show - this will be my card entry.  I have no idea what happens or what else I have to do, but at least I've made the card!  If anything interesting happens, I will let you know.  Thanks for stopping by. :)

4 comments:

  1. A very pretty card, Ali. When you say you used the Kaisercraft leaves template, did you mean the stencil one and then fussy cut them out? A lot of work if so. They look good.

    Good luck with all your entries and let us know how you got on. It's also a way of becoming 'known' in the town isn't it? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty Ali. You put so much work into your cards, so many little processes and techniques. It's not surprising it took you several nights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous card, wouldn't have known that doiley was folded until you said. I just love the effect of the vellum leaves, they are so pretty. Let us know how you do in the show - good luck xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very pretty card. Those leaves are gorgeous. Good luck with the show!

    ReplyDelete