Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 April 2013

April Scrapology Card Challenge - Bling it Up!

Firstly - a big thank you to everyone who took part in the recent UK Scrappers Spring Blog Hop!  I was overwhelmed with the amount of comments and their generosity.  Jo Pink won the prize of the Hexagon Framelits, and they are now winging their way to her - I hope she enjoys them!

Our Scrapology card challenge went live on the same day, but I thought I would post a couple of days late so that the furore could die down a bit. 

This month, our lovely design team member, Sue Jones set the challenge of making a card with ba ba bling!  Take a look at what the team devised:

And here is mine.  (A friend would tell me off for beginning a sentence with "and" .... you know who you are!  :D)

 
I had great fun with this!  I started out by punching out scraps of black and white patterned paper (Teresa Collins Damask) from my left over scrapbooking kit from Emma Trout's classes she taught at the Inspired retreat in 2010.  It makes a huge amount of sense to me to use the leftovers from one thing straight after for a different project - trouble is, I usually flibberty-gibbert around and otherwise get a bit bored.  I then hid the strip at the top with a bit of black ribbon stuck on the top. 
 
The black, white and aqua doodly edge (Prima Retro) was also from the kit.  The die cut label is actually one of my best loved and most used stamps from Basic Grey and I cut around the edge.  I die cut the "Happy Birthday" with my newish Elizabeth Craft die - it is fabulous and I can see that this die will more than pay for itself in terms of usage.  I had already cut out the white leaf from my layout and if I hadn't used it here, it would have gone in the bin. 
 
In my tidying and de-stashing exercise for emigrating, I recently put away the scraps from a very old layout and the black swirl bling was left-over from that project.  It was destiny! Two tiny aqua flowers with more black gems stuck in the middle emphasise the swirl nicely. 
 
To hide the bottom join in the patterned paper, I used part of an aqua Doodlebug Paper Frill. The top daisy strip is also an aqua paper frill - I just ran over it with my black Promarker because this had escaped from the packet and was determined it wasn't going back in! 
 
I was blinging everything in sight by this stage so the black daisies were the next target with small blue gems. 
 
Supplies:
Patterned Papers:   Teresa Collins (Damask) "Stationery"
                               Teresa Collins (Documented) "Measured"
                                Prima Marketing (Blooming Retro) "Cotton Clouds"
Bazzill cardstock: white, DCVW Christmas Stack  aqua
Thin black ribbon
1 Small and 1 medium aqua flower
Black and white dotty flower
MM Aqua velvet brad which was slightly the wrong colour but I couldn't be bothered to change it as I liked it!
Doodlebug Paper Frills
Various Gems
Prima
Elizabeth Crafts "Happy Birthday" die
Creative Memories Square Punch
Art Institute wet glue
 
Hope you join in with the challenge and get blinging! :D


4 comments:

  1. Bling-tastic Ali! Love the aqua colour with the black and white. Very sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a really good tip to use up your bits and pieces immediately after a larger project - and one that I shall take on board! Lovely colours here - very striking indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you utilise everything and create beautiful makes by combining leftovers with other stash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love this! The cours look stunning!

    ReplyDelete