Search This Blog

Thursday 11 August 2011

A Mother's Love ....

I said goodbye to my mother yesterday.  We stood outside, and cried in each others' arms, not sure when we would see each other again, especially wishing we lived within closer proximity.  Mum wrote in her card to us "it has been a privilege to share in the first month of your babies' lives".  Mum, it was a privilege for us to have you here - you have provided not only a great amount of practical back-up in terms of feeding the twins through restless and sleep deprived nights but an impetus to get things organised.  Perhaps most importantly, an enormous amount of emotional support through a huge period of adjustment for a new family!


I did an internet search for something which approximated my feelings and found the following quote:

Life began with waking up and loving my mother's face
- George Eliot, English novelist

Well, that is the way that I hope my sons feel about me in the future, secure and confident in their parents' love.  Hopefully they will never have to question the way their parents feel about them - that unconditional, constant and unwavering support.


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh

Despite just a couple of week's experience, Mum you have made me more confident in my ability to love my sons and to look after them by giving me a strong and positive role model.  You were indefatigable and tireless in your efforts for us and we so appreciate it.
I am hoping that we can see you again very soon and that distance will not always be such an obstacle. 


With lots of love and gratitude,
Alison xxxx

1 comment:

  1. Alison and family, congratulations (if a little late) on the arrival of your two gorgeous boys!!

    ReplyDelete